Wednesday, August 1, 2007

relocating ... getting passed over ... general hodge-podge

recently i've found it in my best interest to find a new place to live. i won't go into specifics as, really, it's no ones business and the ones who know me and are important to me know what is going on anyway. however, let's just say my current living arrangement is less than desirable and has been for some time.

i've been apartment hunting in various areas and i've found a location that seems like a good spot, aside from one detail which i will get to in a minute.

i took a look at the floor plan of this location and it's a 1 bedroom, 1 bath with kitchen, living room/dining room and appears to have lots of closet space, so that's a plus. the asking price for it is $585.00 with utilities included. i especially like the the sound of the last part ... say it with me people ... "utilities included." the community actually has a laundromat on site and is well within walking distance from a couple grocery stores and other amenities. i can swing $585/mo, give or take a few dollars.

now, the bad part ... it's in (dun dun dun ......) dundalk. anyone who knows me knows that i have an aversion to dundalk ... i generally close my eyes while in dundalk, even when i'm driving--which really makes for interesting lane changes. now ... i've talked myself into swallowing a fair amount of my pride and living among the classless society known as white trash and right now i will live with the motto: "beggars can't be choosers" ... which could be why many of dundalk's inhabitants appear homeless.

ok, perhaps i am being a bit harsh ... i have friends that live in or around dundalk and i would never classify them as white trash. i think they're the proverbial 'diamond in the rough' and i would never judge them for where they live ... especially when there are plans on my horizon to be joining them. oy. i've just never heard of anything good coming from dundalk and i'm afraid people won't visit me while i live there. assuage my fears, my friends ... promise me that if i move to dundalk you won't think any less of me. pinky swear.

i will keep you updated as further details are known

moving on ....

i just found out today that i got passed over for a permanent position here where i work. as of right now i am classified as a 'contractor' which, as we all know, is a glorified term for 'temp.'

recently quite a few people were laid off due to the end of a contract and of those people getting laid off, several were selected to fill in open spots in other areas working on other projects. one of the people slated to get laid off was actually given the position that my boss wanted me for, but realized that if she were to offer the job to a 'temp' instead of a permanent employee who was to be laid off, there could be some ramifications so, tada ... i got passed over. i'm sad a bit by it because i really need job stability right now, however, i'm glad that someone didn't lose their job. i'm being pulled from both sides on this one.

one bright side of learning all of this, however, is that now i have concrete proof that my manager is really taking steps to hire me on full time and give me the stability i need. previously it was just speculation: why would they take the time to train me in all these other systems and software unless they were going to keep me? why would they move my desk to sit with all the other permanent people and leave all the other 'temps' there? so on, so forth.

moving on some more ...

there's a new person working at dunkin' donuts ... to call him retarded would be an insult ... not to him, but to mentally handicapped people everywhere. people with downe's look at him and are like, "wow .. he's fucking retarded."

it took him approximately 10 minutes to get my bagel this morning ... 10 minutes ... and the other girl who was working was just laughing and was like, "sorry .. he's really slow." yeah, no shit.

also ...

i was behind another bad driver on the way to work today. bleh.

and finally ... in closing ...

the reason it took me so long to post something today is really, i didn't know what to post about. i seem to always bitch about dunkin' donuts and bad drivers and this morning, that's all i was thinking about. thanks mrs.twink for pointing out that i hadn't posted.

3 comments:

MrsTwink said...

Geoff - you know if you need to live somewhere in the interim, you can always stay with me and The Mr.!

As for the job - sorry to hear that. I have full faith that your boss will find you a full-time position. :)

bricknhymr said...

I actually know some people from Dundalk, and they did not turn out so bad. I am sure you will find a good place to be.

Also, if you don't get the position you want I can float your resume at my consulting company. We hire on a full time basis and things are pretty stable. generally people only leave when they get hired away by the companies they are working for. It is a pretty sweet gig. Let me know.

Theresa said...

i understand the dundalk aversion but at least you'll be closer to baltimore, which means you and i can hang out more often. woohoo! try and contain your excitement