Thursday, November 1, 2007

loooong work week ... and today is a special day for me.

thursday ... that means it's almost friday. i'm so excited!

work has kinda been a drag this week. i've been shuffled around from department to department, donning new hats whenever they were handed to me. i don't mind, though, as it shows my versatility in the workplace and if i make myself more useful, the likelihood of my going permanent is more and more guaranteed.

so, i had a conference call on monday (my first with this company) and it was rather annoying. one of the software engineers on the call was an arrogant prick who claimed his software could do no wrong. we've had issues for a while now with one of our scanners in the office and we've got most of the problems resolved, however, there's a lingering ... "lag" issue (best way to describe it) when trying to get medical claims to go from the scanner to a couple of our many queues. the software engineer swears up and down that it's a hardware issue, but throughout the week i've been running tests on this machine and have all but confirmed it's not a hardware issue. it's either a software issue or a problem on the server side, which is located in colorado. anyway, so i did my little excel wizardry and created another spreadsheet (i did one earlier in the week) showing the various times it takes for the claims to be scanned and shuffled to the correct area. i got kudos from my boss for that, as the person before me used to hand write everything and hand it in to her. um, no thanks. so, today i have another conference call with the same people and the same arrogant prick so we'll see what he has to say today.

new lease on life
well, as the title of this post states, today is a rather special day for me. you see, i leave work at 1 o'clock today and i go to view my apartment, sign my lease and get my keys. i can't even begin to describe the mix of emotions i have right now. i'm excited as hell ... it's been about 10 years since i've lived without roommates. i'm also nervous as hell ... it's been about 10 years since i've lived without roommates. i'm stressed ... i hate packing and i'm still doing it. i tend to get lazy wen doing something that i hate. so now, i'm at the point where i am just throwing anything in a box and labelling it 'miscellaneous'. this is definitely a great thing for me and i'm very happy and can't wait. i can finally walk around my place nude as the day i was born ... shades drawn and mirrors covered, of course.

so, saturday morning is the big move. my father, jamie and steven are helping me load up my u-haul and unload it at my new place, so i am very thankful for that. thank you, also, to the other wonderful people who have offered to help or have shown regret at not being able to. i very much appreciate the offers and you can make it up to me by buying me something great for my new place ... like a dining room table. (just kidding ... or am i?) so, this weekend, obviously, is going to be pretty busy, what with the move and then the subsequent unpacking. comcast is supposed to arrive at the apartment on sunday between 10 and 1 which means they'll be there around 4, i'm sure. don't worry, people ... i will be having a dinner party or something at some point soon.

i'm also kind of sad as friday is my last day going to the same dunkin' donuts i've been going to for a long time. i know, i know ... i bitch a lot about bad coffee and lesions and whatnot, but selene, my coffee wife--as she dubbed herself--gave me a huge hug today and told me she's going to miss me. she's been comping my coffee all week and i will honestly miss seeing her. she was always smiling and having a good time. this one goes out to you, selene ...

::pours some coffee out on the ground::

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Yay!!
Congrats Boy!
I can't wait to see the new place!

Scooter McFly said...

thanks, jamie!! i got muh keys, looked at the apartment and signed my lease. it's a small apartment, but all i need, really. brand new carpeting, brand new toilet--i don't even want to know what the last tenants did to the old one. ::shudder::

can't wait to move in! yay!

Nanette said...

Happy almost Friday! And good luck with your move!

MrsTwink said...

Geoff! We're almost neighbors now. I can't wait to check out your new place. When are you inviting me over for dinner? :)

I sense a blogging convention is in order!