Thursday, November 29, 2007

fear in dundalk ...

i think i'm a target ... not sure how it happened or who i've crossed, but the cross-hairs are in the middle of my forehead. there's nowhere to run ... there's nowhere to hide ... i'm a marked man ... by the soccer-mom mafia.

this morning, as i was leaving my apartment, in good spirits, i might add ... i found a gift right outside my front door ... a perfectly folded and bleached white sock. i immediately looked around to see if the giver of this unusual gift was around. i was alone. the hallway ... deserted.

"hello?" i tentatively called out. the only response was my echo. i looked down at the sock again and kicked it away as if it were a snake poised to strike. a ripple of fear coursed through my body and i quickly turned, pulled my door shut and locked it. i hurried from the building and climbed into my jeep and sped out of there.

i've heard tales of the soccer-mom mafia many times so i'm familiar with their methods. their first threat is a bleached and perfectly folded white sock. not too long after that, you wake up one morning with a bottle of tide next to your head on the pillow. soon, strategically placed fabric softener sheets will spring up here and there, a constant reminder of their vigilance and that they are watching you ... when they're not at sporting events with their children, i mean, but you get the picture.

i'm not sure what to do or where to turn.

or ... it could have just been a plain white sock found in the laundry room that someone mistakenly thought was mine and left it there for me to find. who knows. let's pray for the latter. i just thought it was strange to see a sock placed equidistant between the door frames where i was sure to see it as soon as i stepped out. jamie musta spooked me last night.

5 comments:

Terri: said...

omg lol!! you are too funny!

it could have been the soccer mom mafia or ....

maybe the sock monster pooped in front of your door?

Terri: said...

oh yeah -- i forgot to ask...

why am i not on your favorite people list? hmmmm....am i that insignificant in your life?

(i'm dying inside now) lol!

Jamie said...

I didn't mean to sppok you.
It sounds like you're a marked man...lay low a while to see if thing blow over

Charm City Kim said...

Yikes! That would scare the pants off of me (and hopefully, I'd find them washed and ironed the next morning on my front step).

It could have been worse - it could have been a note telling you that you suck and signed "anonymous". :)

Nanette said...

I puffy heart this post. :)