Tuesday, November 6, 2007

strutting naked thru my apartment ...

this past weekend i finally moved into my new apartment in dundalk and i have to say, i love it. even the area isn't so bad (my apologies go out to the guy who left me a comment about the beauty of dundalk ... i forget who you are and i'm too lazy to go searching through comments at the moment. be happy i mentioned you again.)

so, i am going to start off this blog by first thanking everyone who helped me out on saturday. first and foremost, i want to thank my father--even though he doesn't read this blog, it's the sentiment that counts. secondly, i want to thank jamie who, by the time i called saturday morning a bit after 9:30 a.m., was already almost to my old place to help us load up the truck. you truly are a great friend, jamie, and i love you. i also want to thank steven and paul--without whom my television set would still be in the back of the u-haul--for their help with the loaded and unloading of the truck. even though steven sat on his ass more often than not, i love him too much to be irritated by that fact. lol. and finally, thank you to terri who also helped to unload the truck and was the unofficial truck security officer, making sure that no one came off the street and genked one of my boxes. she was also the resident OCD interior decorator:

terri: i like the bed there and the bookshelves there.

::we move the bed and the bookshelves in place and step back to examine our handiwork ... somewhere else in the apartment, steven cackles::

my father: do you want your bed against the wall to their bedroom? ::refers to eric and his boyfriend keith, my neighbors::
terri: ooh, good idea. you don't want your bed against that wall. move the bed there. ::points to the wall that is currently occupied by the bookshelves:: then move the bookshelves over there. ::points to wall currently occupied by the bed::

::we begin moving furniture and this new setup makes the room appear much smaller::

me: i think i like the bed back on that wall, actually.
terri: oh, i wouldn't. you guys share a wall.
me: yeah, let's move stuff back.
terri: are you sure you want your bed there? i think it would be better on that wall. ::points to the wall that previously housed the bookshelves and now was currently in the process of re-housing the bookshelves::
me: ::ignores terri and moves bed back::

i love you, terri! :)

so, that first night at my new place i got my bathroom all set up and i couldn't wait to take a shower. i felt so gross. dust from the boxes and stuff, sweat from moving, and just that overall feeling of exhaustion from the stress leading up to my move and the big day itself. next i got my bed set up so i had a place to lay my head and that was pretty much it the first night. the next morning i woke up and started unpacking more. i hooked up my shower head and worked on the kitchen a bit, finding boxes of dishes and unloaded them into the cabinets. i didn't get a chance to wash them yet as i didn't have any dish soap, a sponge or a drying rack at all yet, so ... bleh. i waited around all day for the cable guy who was to show up between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. he ended up showing up a bit after 3. i told you!! so, i have cable ... i hooked up my wireless router--all by myself, i might add! damn i'm good!--to the internet and now i am all connected in my place. my pc is in the bedroom, laptop in the living room .... my own little network. yay.

that night i discovered that my DVR wasn't working correctly. called comcast and spoke to two different people and they sucked and did nothing for me except make me jump through hoops and not get anything resolved. it still wasn't working on monday morning and after work i called comcast again, ready to deal with another idiot. instead, i was blessed with heather ... the uber-comcast princess. she fixed my DVR within minutes! she rocks. she gave me her extension so if i need help again in the fiture i can get a hold of her directly. yay!

so, i went grocery shopping saturday night after the comcast guy left and bought a bunch of shit for my place. it was fun, but i'd forgotten how expensive the first shopping trip is. oy! i spent $250.00 and it barely looks like i went shopping. i'm telling you.

i will be having a house-warming party at some point in the future, but right now i am too preoccupied with getting everything in order. i still have a few housewares i need for my place: hand towels (ones that actually dry. i swear the ones i have now are scotch-guarded. water beads up on them and only smears the water around ont he surface of what i am trying to dry. yeah, not very effective), a dish rack, drapes for the living room, silverware (using ancient crap atm, but it works), a trashcan, and ironing board, etc .. the basic shit. i'll probably grab that stuff this weekend if i go out shopping. i don't have time during the week, really, and tonight i'm off to my old place to clean and pick up a few items i neglected to pack or grab before i left. wheeee!

so, all in all i love my new place. it's nice to have my own space and have the privacy i need (aside from the big gaping window in the living room where everyone can see my strutting naked thru my apartment). soon i will have it set up to some semblance of order and then i'll start having people over.

mrs.twink, expect to eat dinner around the coffee table if you come over for dinner anytime soon. i have yet to find a dining room table but i am going out with my father on the 17th, i think, to BJs and whatnot and he suggested going to a furniture store to pick up a dining room table and a pantry, so we'll see. :) and once all the boxes are put away, i'll be painting! yay!

thank you again to all those who helped and thanks also to all those to wanted to help but were unable. the thought is appreciated.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

It was my pleasure to help you move. You're gonna love being out on your own.

I think Terri hit Starbucks too much that morning because she was all over the place! :)

MrsTwink said...

Dinner around a coffee table sounds good to me! My people are accustomed to eating on the floor.

Nanette said...

I'm glad your move went smoothly!

Scooter McFly said...

thank you! (^_^) i have great friends who have helped me and they are the reason it went as smoothly as it did.