Friday, January 25, 2008

just an observation ...

i like to think that i'm a fairly decent judge of character, though i do have my moments where i make a bad call ... i know, i know ... thank god these are infrequent. however ... i would like to tell you all about mark ... the 7-11 worker who covers the night shift.

if you've been reading my blog for a while, you will remember that i generally post about my [coffee bitches] and/or the locations that i stop at before work. well, this is a resurgence.

being as there are no dunkin' donuts or starbucks around where i live--or at least none that i've found--i've been forced to buy coffee from a convenience store. while this may not seem bad to some people, my palate is thoroughly disgusted with me and has threatened to leave. but i digress.

so, every morning i go into 7-11 where i usually run into mark and debbie and while debbie is a complete sweetheart, mark is her polar opposite. it's not even that he's rude, but he never seems to be having a good morning or at the very least, didn't have a good night.

me: good morning!
mark: is it? ::snidely::
me: i guess not ...
debbie: good morning. ::big smile::
mark: ::mumbling under his breath as he makes coffee:: good morning to some people.
me: ::ignores him and makes coffee::

i go up to the counter and pay for my purchases and as i go to leave i tell them to have a great day.

debbie: you too!
mark: yeah. ::snidely::

i have a distinct feeling mark is not happy with his job.

so, because of this, i'm on the verge of never getting coffee there ever again. i've seen those videos where disgruntled employees pee in a coffee pot ... am i drinking caffeinated urine? god, i hope not ... but now that that image is in my head ... i'm terrified of him. he's the guy that will pull out an ak-47 from the 'spicy bite' cabinet and mow everyone down, chanting gleefully, "oh thank heaven!"

when i talk with him he says things that, to my ears, makes no sense whatsoever, but he cackles at them as if he just farted in church and someone else got blamed. as he talks with me, i try and figure it out, but i can't tell if he's got all his teeth--i don't think he does--and he vaguely reminds me of those gold miners sucking on their gums while panning for nuggets in a river bed you see in old movies and/or cartoon representations. "thar's gold in them thar hills!"

i'm sure he's a nice guy when he's in his element, but i have a feeling his 'element' includes dueling banjo's and skinning a human alive, so i think i'd rather just see him in his 7-11's finest and be done with it.

9 comments:

Andréa said...

My advice... FIND A NEW COFFEE Shop. Or, you could purchase a coffee pot. I know it is a wild and crazy idea, but then you could have coffee before you even shower??!!?

Yahpee said...

LMAO. I feel sorry for people like that but then I also realize that people like Mr. Grumpy ass may be insane and not just grumpy.

Also 7-11 coffee is gross. So gross in fact I don't think it would be possible to tell the difference between normal coffee and urinated coffee.

There's GOT to be another coffee shop near by that hire people with decent hygiene.

=D

Good luck with that!

Scooter McFly said...

let me just touch on a point ...

i do actually have a coffee pot at home and i have between 1 and 2 cups of coffee before i even leave for work on a good day, however, i still need that caffeine drip throughout the day and that starts with a convenient stop at 7-11.

no coffee pot ... do you think i'm an animal? think i was raised in a barn?! if i could line my kitchen counters with coffee pots, i would! lol

Nanette said...

Maybe you need a giant travel coffee thermos that you can fill before you leave your place in the morning. :)

Charm City Kim said...

Hhmm... what would I do... hmm..

well, really - how much coffee do you drink in day? I do hate when people who work in customer service type positions are total a-holes.

I would avoid 7-11. I knew a guy who hated working at wendy's and pooped in their chili so I'm with you on being suspicious.

Anonymous said...

Have you had any luck looking for Starbucks pseudo-shops (as I call them) in grocery stores, Target, or Barnes and Noble? Or are only Howard County-ians that lucky? ;-)

Scooter McFly said...

nan: i'm with you. i should go grab one of those. like ... one of those ginormous ones they use at sporting events ... you know ... the ones usually filled with gatoraid and then later get dumped on the winning coach. mmmmmmmmmmm .... coffffeeeeeeeeee.

twinkie: i. love. coffee. coffee is my rumplestiltskin and i'd give up my first born for it ... there, i said it. i'm a bad father!

t: i live in dundalk ... there is no barne's and noble ... they don't read here! and there's really nothing on the way to work that's easy for me to stop at and check.

Anonymous said...

... I miss 7-11!

CAG Incognito said...

I think next time you go in there you should just hand him a joint! He'll probably be your best friend after that...lol